My question for Film & Media

' A close study of whether representations of women in Disney films mirror the societal and cultural changes that have dominated gender and cinema over the last 70 years.'

My chosen three focus films are:

Snow white

Mulan

Cinderella

I have chosen these films to compare and contrast the different representations of women over the 70 year period (Snow white being the earliest in 1938 to Mulan 1998) to see if the representations that Disney has of women have moved on in these films as much as it has in society.

I am interested to find out what people consider to be a 'Princess' and why these representations have stuck throughout the years and are now being taught to younger children.

Picture 1

Picture 1
Picture 1

picture 2

picture 2
picture 2

Sunday 12 October 2008

Research

So far my research has consisted of secondary research rather than primary. I have looked at web sites and blogs to get an idea of how other people see Disney representing women over the years. So far what i have found is that women are given a status in the Disney world of being dependant on men, they are seen as being unable to defend themselves as a prince always comes and saves the day.

 Also the image of the 'Disney women' is very much all the same, very skinny,  carefully groomed with delicate make up and beautiful dresses. The women are expected to cook and clean before the man comes home and have his dinner on the table for him, these are more traditional views of women, in contrast to how Mulan is represented, more manly than usual, with shorter hair tied up. Although she still is very pretty and petite which links in very much so to the older way that women were portrayed. 

For primary research i will be looking at focus groups from ages 8-9 and also of people 30+ of mixed genders in order to get a hands on responses to how other people from different ages and genders perceive women.

 I will show clips from my 3 focus films and ask them to draw a Disney women, I will also ask them who their favourite Disney women is and why and ask them to come up with 3 words to describe the 3 women in my focus films. This should give me a broader knowledge and a better indication of what other people think rather than just what I think.

 

 

 

No comments: